Sunday, November 13, 2022

Three Books: On The Rooftop by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton, Voting Day by, Clare O'Dea and The Complicities by, Stacey D'Erasmo




Change of format, with my blog. There are SO many wonderful books, rather than focusing on one, I am highlighting 2-4 a month. I read many, many, many books. I don't have the bandwidth to coverall all of them, so I usually choose one, I particularly like. Also, I have up till now, only highlighted the ones I have enjoyed. I have decided to include in my reviews, books "that weren't for me." We have all read books, that one person may rave about, and once read, we may have a different viewpoint. 

Also, I am always, always looking for underated books, particularly books, that have not received the marketing dollars, or acclaim they deserve. So, I will include one, 'under the radar' book. As a reminder, the premise of this Blog, is to highlight books written by 'older' authors, or books featuring an 'older' protagonist. I read books in all genres, written by 'young' Authors, as well as books, in SF, Fantasy, Fiction, Non Fiction, Mysteries/Thrillers. I chose to highlight the ones, that I particularly enjoyed.

ON THE ROOF TOP, By, Margaret Wilkerson Sexton.

A propulsive read-Family saga, involving a single Mother and her three talented daughters, "The Salvations" and the quintissential choice of choosing the road to stardom or not? 
Loosely based on "The Fiddler on the Roof", Historical Fiction at its best. Set in the gentrifying era, of 1950's San Francisco, the novel is a stunning portrayal of a Mother's dream for her daughters' future and the complications that arise from that decision.

VOTING DAY, By, Clare O'Dea

This book provides a gentle reminder of the Power of voting, particularly for women. Four women, one day, and the vote for womens suffrage in 1959 Switzerland.
This is a quiet book, that utilizes simplicty to tell the story, from the lives of farmers, who speak bluntly, and do not varnish their lives. Brutally honest and refreshing, I love all the books in this series of 15, published by Fairlight Books.

THE COMPLICITIES, By, Stacey D'Erasmo

Interesting premise, that diverged into tangents that were difficult to follow, a whale dying on a beach, a masseuse that waan't licensed?, a woman who is recovering from a traumatic car accident, financial ruin.
Suzanne is recovering from the divorce of her husband, Alan, who has been imprisoned for massive financial fraud. The book centers on what she did or did not know. However, the other 'storylines' impose sporadically throughout the novel, negating the actual premise.
I would have preferred tha Author stay with the original premise.
Another book by this Author, TEA, written in 2001 is a wonderful book.

1 comment:

Seniorsitze said...

This book I like so much;)